Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fried Kangkong (water spinach)


One simple and healthy side dish got my taste buds salivating for more. The first time my parents and I went to ESCAS restaurant we ordered this simple "fried kangkong". Kangkong is a (tagalog word, I think it's also used as English term) leafy vegetable. I liked it so much not only because it's healthy, easy to prepare but also it's exquisite taste. As i ate it, I studied how it's made. And here what I've come up with. I also tried cooking it myself. I added few touches. You can also try to add your own touches.

Ingredients

200 grams of kangkong
2 eggs
1/2 cup of cornstarch
1/2 cup of vegetable oil



For the mixture
a pinch of salt
a pinch of red pepper or black pepper(optional)
all-in-one seasoning granules (optional)

if you don't have all-in-one seasoning granules, you can add:
5 grams/a pinch of finely chopped onions
5 grams/a pinch of finely chopped garlic


Procedure
Beat the eggs in a bowl, add the mixture in the bowl and mix well. Place it a side to prepare the vegetable and cornstarch. Place the cornstarch in another bowl. Now, prepare your vegetable. Pick the vegetable out of the stems. Cut the leaf with at least an inch of its stem. The stem is also edible (this is also optional if you don't like to add the stem, it's up to you.) Wash the leaves carefully and rinse.

Preheat the pan. Add the vegetable oil in the pan and wait for 3-5 minutes, then it's time to fry!

Add the kangkong in your mixture and "hakop" your vegetable mixture, transfer it to the bowl of cornstarch, mix it well. Deep fry your vegetables by batch.

And that's how easy it is. You can enjoy this food while watching a movie, this is also good for different kinds of parties or just you alone. ^^, I'll post more kangkong recipes next time. Enjoy your food!

No comments: